Started Running but Not Losing Weight

First of all thank you to everyone who provided comments and feedback about my first video. A lot of people found my video and your comments really useful.

In today’s video I talk about two of the main reasons why you may be running but not losing weight. If you don’t know about these reasons then it can be really frustrating when you’re putting in time and effort but not getting the results you expect.

I also explain why you may be doing better than you think.

This entry was posted in Running, Videos, Weight Loss and tagged , , , ,

24 Responses to Started Running but Not Losing Weight

1. ruth says:

It’s early in the morning and I watched your video. I have been running for a few weeks running and working out. And my weight won’t change. So I did’nt think of doing my measurements. I will try that starting today. On the other hand, my moods are better and running lifts my endorphins and makes my day better when I seem to be tired. As long as I get out there and do it. The weather is supposed to be nice this next few days so no excuses. Thank you for your video James and have a great morning.

You’re welcome Ruth, I’m glad that you found my video useful.

I hope that you do well with your running and see some weight loss results soon.

2. dana hansen says:

Hi Ruth,

Be patient, sometimes weight doesn’t come off very easy or very fast.
    My case.
    Measurements were great though, I lost inches very quick.
    Weight came of in my case after almost 3 months after I started running.
    So hang in there, and good luck.
    I was dissapointed like you, and I bugged James a lot about that, but he was forever understanding, and encouraged me to keep on.
    Good luck!

3. Carrie says:

This is really encouraging James. I have been putting in lot of running time every day or at least every other day for half an hour to an hour and no difference in weight. I haven’t measured myself but I do notice more defined muscle …so maybe that is it? I have been on this routine since late December so how long do you think it will be until I see weight loss results?

I would expect that you’ve lost some fat and gained some slight muscle Carrie, especially with noticing differences in how your body looks.

It’s hard to say how long it will be before you see weight loss results without knowing everything about what running you do and your diet. However, I can say that the fitter you become and the more you improve your running ability, the easier it should become to lose weight.

4. Fiona says:

Another great video and lots of tips. I have only lost a stone in weight since starting running but lost loads of inches and have really toned up. I am taking medication for a past illness which I don’t think helps with my weight loss but I am feeling good and everyone is commenting that I look years younger. Keep in there everyone and you will see results.

Can’t wait to get my trainers on and off for a run tomorrow morning.

5. Kate says:

James your video was very enlightening to me. I have been running for only a couple of months and lost no weight. I was beginning to get discouraged but now I understand why from your video I feel motivated to keep going. What I have noticed is that I get less tired playing badminton now and can run around the court to get to shots more quickly. So that’s an encouraging result. Just need to lose the weight now! Thanks again for your much needed help.

I have been running all last year and for the first 2 or 3 months I have barely lost anything. James’ emails were God sent…. they kept me going through the frustration of not seeing any body changes. By the end of the year I lost 14 pounds. At the beginning of this year I decided to purchase the running and weight loss programs that James has. I figured I can try and figure things on my own or just go ahead and get it right for sure. It was the best 30 bucks I have ever spent! As soon as I read them I realized I was not eating enough and went straight to the kitchen and had a copious meal =) That sure made me a happy camper! As I read on, I also realized I was trying too hard with my running. So I got to eat more, run less and in 9 days I lost 7 pounds!!!! I was sooo happy this morning when I saw this drastic change. The best part of the program is the peace of mind that I finally have. I know how much i get to eat, i know how to run and for how long, and I know at the end of the week I will see those 2 pounds (at least) gone. What a relief! Thank you James soooo much. I have never felt so peaceful about my eating, my exercise, ever in my life.
    I could say I love you, but would that be taking it too far? =)

That’s great Nicoleta, you’re doing extremely well with both your running and weight loss!

I’m really glad that you’re finding my eBooks so useful and that they’ve made such a big difference to your results already.

I agree that having peace of mind and knowing that you’re doing the right things is very important so I’m glad that you have that now.

Keep up the great running and weight loss Nicoleta!

7. helen says:

hi i would like to start running again. I have tried a bit later year only a bit mind you. I have trouble and weekness in my ackilli heals its painful when i start to jog. Any help please

If you have any pain when exercising then you should stop or ease back straightaway.

For a proper examination of your injury it’s best to visit a physiotherapist and they will identify the problem and provide advice to help you recover and be able to run pain free.

8. lucie says:

hi james – i have recently got back on the fitness mission and have been running for the past 3 weeks (only 3-4 times a week) and i am up to 2.2 miles in 24 mins with a big hill in the middle so really keen at the moment. I also started the atkins diet in jan so loads of veg some fruit plus meat, eggs, etc and no refined carbs like pasta/potatoes etc etc for a couple of weeks, ive been doing that 6 weeks so i now have 40 grams of carbs a day. Can you tell me what your view is on diets like this ??im just about to go back through my emails from you now im facin up to being unfit im trying to do it right and would love your opinion ?? video was fab i have been really fustrated with slow weight loss and sometimes none – there are weeks when i feel like ive lost half a bledy stone but the scales say ive lost nothing so i too will start measurements tomorrow!!! Huge thanks Lucie

You’re welcome Lucie, and well done with the running so far.

I’m not a big fan of diets because you don’t really need them. They also tend to be short term fixes that end up with any weight loss just coming straight back on.

I wouldn’t recommend a low carbohydrate diet because carbohydrates are an important part of fuelling your running and improving your running ability.

9. Ginny says:

Thankyou for the video James, it confirmed what I was thinking about turning fat into muscle. I have been running 5 days a week for 20 minutes a time and am managing about 1.5 miles, I have been doing this for 6 weeks now, am also eating healthily and have only lost 3lbs. It has been driving me mad- to the point that the scales were nearly through the bathroom window but reading all the other comments from people who are experiencing the same has made me feel that im not alone and should keep plodding on!! Thanks everyone!

10. Federico larrinaga says:

Hola James
    Your video was great it has lift my spirit I was becoming discourage
    Because I was not seeing any weight loss
    Thank you for your clarification and words of encouragement
    Keep motivating us:)

11. Joy says:

I have purchased both of your running programs. I do get plenty of exercise; 5-9hrs a week. I just realize that I am gaining/maintaining my weight because I am not eating enough. I have an extra 40lbs. I found that I have not been eating on weekends unless we go out to eat, once or twice a month. During the week, I have only been eating little over 900 calories a day. This wasn’t intentional, I just don’t feel like it or I am not hungry. I am trying to eat more and more often to consume the required 1300-1500 calories a day. My question is ‘how long will it take my metabolism to get straightened out so I can begin to lose weight?’ Thanks for any input you may have.

It’s good that you’ve identified that you need to be eating more Joy. Only having 900 calories per day will have really slowed your metabolism and made it harder to lose weight.

It’s very difficult to say how long it will take for your metabolism to increase again but it’s more likely to be a matter of weeks rather than months.

12. Joy says:

Thanks for your quick response! I was very worried that it would be almost impossible to fix. I am thankful that it would only take weeks to straighten out my metabolism instead of the months or years I was worred about. This is great news! Now that I have hope I have to make sure I eat every day….. Thanks again!

13. Jen says:

hello James

I have been steadily running everyother day for the past two weeks. I run about 2 miles, without stopping or walking. I was suprised that body could do this, I haven’t ran since high school. I’m 28 years old an I’m really tall about 5’10 and I weight 180 pounds. The texts books say I’m over weight and I feel that I could lose about 30 pounds to be exactly the size I want to be. I started running and now I’m in training for a half marathon that takes place in December. I was wondering, I have gained about 4 pounds in that last week, why is this? I don’t eat bad, I stay on weight watchers regulary and jot down everything that I eat. I don’t splurge and I don’t binge eat, I just have no idea why I’ve gained weight and not lost any? Should I stop running and just diet?

Jen

14. Annie says:

I have a question that has been bugging me for a while. I run 25-30 miles a week. I recently lost a ton of weight ( before picking up running) and I eat very cleanly. As I continue to run, I seem to notice more muscle definition in my legs and arms, and some fat loss, but the scale is not budging!! I’m so frustrated because I am working really hard. If anything I’m gaining a pound or two. Why is this happening? I know I am burning lots of calories and like I said, eating really well. I thought running would cause the pounds to come off!
    Annie

15. derek walker says:

hi there. i have seen the vid u posted and its about right, the hard work 3 time a week in the gym has really paid of. over the last 3 mths i have acctuly put on weight and am doing 6 miles plus. i eat alot more..no junk but i likr a drink..? just seem to still have fat on me even though i really train hard and the results are gettin better..?

16. Anjani says:

I have started running since may 14th 2013. I never ran before in my entire life. I am 36 year old women. I just took a break of 2-3 days in all these 6 weeks. I could tell my clothes are fitting lil better (very lil) but my weight did not change, it always fluctuates between 148-152lbs in the morning. it is really hard to be motivated without any real change. please help.

17. Anjani says:

I forgot to mention I am running/walking 3 miles, 7 days a week

18. kari says:

I have a question, I’ve been running for over a month now for about 5 days a week. I also have a fitness pal, so I’ve been watching my calorie intake. Not only have I gained, but i’m not loosing any inches either. Why is that?? I’m extremely frustrated, cause I have a trip to Hawaii a month away, and I can’t loose anything